Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Damn Book

In here is a recipe for Tandoori Chicken and Indian-Spiced Creamed Corn.  Just scroll on down.

I've been cooking.  And kid-ing.  And all the usual stuff.  But I haven't been posting.  Mostly because I've been too busy reading the 5th book in the Game of Thrones series.  And I'm annoyed because I don't even like it all that much.  I'm just about at the middle, and we're starting to get back to the characters that I care about but seriously, Danaerys?  Don't care.  Yeah, yeah, you're kind and everyone wants to take advantage of you and blood of the dragon yadda yadda.  How about hanging out with three people whose names I can keep straight?  And while I'm at it, how about everyone just holds on to their original name for more than one chapter?  Just tell me what the hell is going on with the Stark children and I'm good.

I'm the most annoying character ever, and yet I just won't die!

I'm sorry to people who actually have some kind of life.  You have no idea what I'm talking about.  

Otherwise it's been good stuff.  Quick one night trip with some friends to the beach, and that was great.

We hit the indoor pool while the rainbow came out,

Dining at their own table,

Beach day.

Day two of ice cream.

The way home.  Think they had fun?

Tomorrow the plan's to hit the Ecotarium.  I've never been; I hope it's fun.

So I said that I was going to update about waffles and apples, but I wasn't super crazy about the waffles.  Instead we have Tandori Chicken with Indian-Spiced Creamed Corn (served with naan and sliced cucumbers).  It was good and easy.

Tandori Chicken
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 small container plain greek yogurt (I like Fage)
about 2 tbsp tandori seasoning*

Cut the chicken into about 1 inch chunks.

Stir the tandoori seasoning into the yogurt and mix well.  Stir the chicken into the yogurt mix and make sure it's thoroughly coated.  It can sit anywhere from 15 minutes to overnight.

This is me, forgetting to take pictures as I go and attempting to make it up after the fact.

Heat a grill to high heat and make sure it's well oiled.  

Thread the chicken onto 4 skewers and cook, turning once, for about 7 minutes per side.

Umm, raw chicken.
  
Serve either on or off the skewers.

*I really like this one that I got at Whole Foods.  That said, I kind of want to punch myself in the face for using a spice by a company called "Urban Accents."

Indian-Spiced Creamed Corn

I know that in an ideal cooking world all corn dishes are made with corn fresh off the cob.  I never like to spend the time and always cheat and use frozen corn.  

Good enough for me!

1 12 oz package frozen corn, thawed
1 small onion, diced fine
2 garlic cloves, minced
about 1/3 c 1/2 and 1/2
4 tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp garam masala spice mix*
olive oil for sauteeing

On low heat, saute the diced onion and the minced garlic until the onion is translucent.  


Add a little less than 1/2 the package of corn, and set aside.

In a Cuisinart or using a hand-held blender, puree the rest of the corn, adding 1/2 and 1/2 to your desired thickness.

I took like 9 pictures.  There was no way to make this not look like sludge.

Mix the corn and onion mixture with the pureed corn and place in a greased 8X8 baking dish.  Top with a splash more 1/2 and 1/2 and put in a 350 degree oven until it's warm (at least 15 minutes, but it's forgiving.  If you'd like to make it before putting the chicken on the grill, that's probably ok.  Just check to make sure it's not too dried out before serving).



As it heats, mix the garam masala and the butter.

When serving, top the corn with the spiced butter (you can do this on individual plates or on the whole dish, depending on the taste preferences of those with whom you are dining).

I'll get better at remembering "plating" pictures.  
I just lied to you, internet.

* This does not have to be Urban Accents brand.  Ugh.  I'm suffering from inadvertent-hipster self loathing.

Look what I found as I was uploading pictures for this post.  Looks like someone got his hands on my camera.  Sherman Klump, is that you?*








*ugh, more self-loathing.  I can't believe I just referenced one of the worst Eddie Murphy movies ever.  This needs to stop.

Alright, this was good.  It's been fun catching up.  And tomorrow I'll post the noodlecake with tofu recipe that was also super easy and everyone liked.  



No comments:

Post a Comment